[The following is a repost from the newsletter.]
Happy High-Flying New Year, Daredevil!
Are you ready to make the leap? Or rather, have you made it? I s’pose if you’re reading this, you’ve arrived on this side of the calendar change. And given 2016’s volatile, if not maddening, rollercoaster of a ride, that is enough to be applauded.
I honor the spark in you that is the spark in me.
Like most of us, I’ve done a bit of reflecting. I’m very proud to have started the Headspank blog and newsletter this year. And if I’ve inspired you to think differently about anything, I’ll count that as a victory.
But as you know, I don’t shy away from change. (How can I when I encourage throwing yourself into it?) And the beginning of 2017 is as good an excuse as any to launch myself into the unknown with new (or improved) intentions. That said, you won’t be surprised to hear my plans for the next 365.
- I will challenge myself to become more open-minded, less judgmental, and curious as all get out.
- I will push myself to be more adventurous with my thoughts, and definitely with my actions.
- And I am going to do everything in my power to grow.
Re that last one, consciously planning to grow goes well beyond learning new skills and adding more value to the world (although that’s part of a healthy breakfast). For me, growth is embracing a you-only-live-once attitude and taking a daily shuttle out of the comfort zone.
My thinking is simple. There is so much uncertainty in the world, perhaps now more than ever. And much of it is out of our control.
It’s imperative to take charge of your own wild ride.
But I’m not telling you anything you don’t already know. To appreciate a Headspank is to celebrate, and initiate, life’s many surprises.
Here’s how I plan on upending the apple cart:
- I’m going to do a lot more video this year. More experiments. Interviews. Some live broadcasts. And a bit of silliness, certainly. I think this will be more effective, more immediate, and more easily consumed than blog posts. It also happens to be thriving grounds for yours truly.
- I’m going to amp up this whole shebang and help people get more WOW in their lives. One way I’ll do that is to speak in front of people. No, not in tongues. But in TED talks. (Well, that’s the ultimate destination. I’ll start small.)
- And to top it off, I’m also excited to proclaim… I’m writing a book. It’s going to be a massive stretch for me. I’ve written screenplays before. But this is a big hairy goal that feels absolutely electric.
You are now my witness. Let it be so. If I do not achieve it by this time next year, you can put me through the public paddy wagon.
May your life be filled with uncommon specialties this year. And may you have the good health, disposition, and prosperity to relish their occurrence as they arrive.